Since returning home from Turkey three weeks ago, I've been very busy. Writing myself a permission note, I'm taking the next six months to a year to "do art". Instead of teaching college composition and grading essays, I work for myself, (dang, I'm one tough boss) transforming sad or plain furniture into joyful art.
The piece I just finished came to me as a gift just before my trip to Turkey. My friend Kris spotted this orphaned piece out on the curb. When she brought over the table I later dubbed Leo, he was slightly warped, legless and very dusty. But good lines and a little flair still shone through.
Here's how the initial work progressed:
Adding six new legs stretched my patience, but the result was worth it. After a coat of primer I rolled a coat of low-gloss black paint onto the trim. Protecting the dry paint with tape, I decoupaged maps of Asia-Pacific, Manhattan, and Mexico on the top. Below, on either side of the cool doors, you'll find a chunk of Africa on the right and the eastern half of the United States on the left. The maps are sealed with three coats of glossy polyurethane.
The now lovely Leo is ready for a new home.
Pin It
No comments:
Post a Comment