| A vintage map prompted this color scheme. |
![]() |
| Kitchen labels informed color choice for Clever Cate. |
Recently, someone asked: How do you decide what colors and patterns to use on each piece?
Short answer: I trace the shortest distance between my eyes and my heart.In other words, I slip out of my serviceable, sensible analytical mind and swim into the cool depths of right-brain thinking. There I listen for a joyful tune.
A big part of embracing my life as an artists involves becoming present -- taking life in as it unfolds around me. Being present changes the way I sense the world, moves me from hearing to listening, from looking to seeing.
Thanks to digital photography, I have an ever-expanding
catalog of images that call my name. When beginning a new piece, I work with colors that sing well together and, quite often, that I already know will hum in harmony: flowers in my garden, prints on fabric, food on my kitchen table, the label on a jar of pasta sauce.
| Flory Dory is still available for adoption as of this posting. |
Polka dots, checks, and stripes are my best friends. Basic shapes and repeated patterns work well for me. Heaps of inspiration for line and design spring from nature. I love the organic curves of botanicals. My favorite shape? the circle.
Water is my element, so no surprise blue makes repeat appearances in my work. Blue of an African sky, blue on white china, the blue of an outdoor pool and blue found on maps.
Along with the best shade of blue used for oceans, maps also make sense because I
Last summer I spent a month in Turkey. While there I took a cruise down the Bosphorus River surrounded by delphinium waves and an azure sky. Bliss!
Istanbul made me giddy at every turn. My eyes drank in stunning images from Byzantine and Ottoman culture.The city simmers with a fusion of European and Asian sensibilities, ancient and modern design.
This jaunty appliqued hanging crafted in Turkey reminds me of similar work produced in Thailand and Guatemala. Yay circles!
| Closed cafe located in Turkey. |
I dip into my vivid collection, stir it with the light in my studio and the personality of the piece standing before me, listen for the tune, and begin.
Please tell me in comments below:
1) if my response makes sense or stirred thoughts in you
2) where you find creative inspiration
3) if you have another question
Pin It




2 comments:
Loved your post and photos.
I find inspiration in others distinct, original creations.
Appreciate your sharing!
so happy you enjoyed it, darla! and yes, i often stand in a happy cloud of amazement when i see the vibrant creative work of others. imaginative possibilities are indeed endless. hurrah!
Post a Comment