Thursday, May 27, 2010

Road Kill or Boy, Do I Love Free Stuff

Since moving from the Midwest I've been surprised by many things. One way that Riverside differs from South Bend: cost and quantity of cast-off stuff. My rounds through thrift stores in Indiana provided a steady stream of interesting pieces for painting. I found clocks, chairs, jewelry boxes, dressers without much difficulty. All priced in my range. Seems folks in Southern California 1) don't have as much stuff, 2) hoard it, or 3) think it's worth more. Pickin's are slim.

Imagine my delight when I spotted this little two-drawer nightstand out with the garbage! I turned my car around and went back to be sure, and yes, it was hiding behind the trash bins ready for pick-up. Score!Solid, but ugly with its black top and sides and spackle-sprayed front, I envision an astonishing transformation. Once I finish scraping the bumpy white off the drawers and frame front, I'll prime it. I wonder what I'm gonna do after that. Cool tones? Floral motif? Another map? Stay tuned. Pin It

No comments: